by: Pamela Lozano
Dreams are exciting! They come from a place of passion and stir up excitement in our heart for future possibilities. Dreams come in all shapes and sizes. Dreams to become a doctor or lawyer, a mom or a wife, to launch a business, to write a book, dance in a ballet, sing on stage, invent something big, discover a vaccine, to travel the world, open a boutique… the list is endless.
Dreams make our hearts come alive! They cause us to lean forward and look ahead at something we hope to accomplish or become, travel to or discover.
But dreams take perseverance and courage! In order to take our dreams and desires and turn them in realities, we have to work hard, fail, get up and keep going. Some people get stuck in the middle of the process. We start to write the book and realize we don’t really know what we are doing. We begin the guitar lessons and the songs don’t sound anything like we hear on YouTube. We find out our dream will cost twice the amount we budgeted for and all of a sudden fear sets in and we become afraid to fail. We become intimidated by the hundreds of others whose best-selling books are on the bookshelves and comparison cripples the pursuit of our dream.
This is where your Dream Team comes in!!
What is a Dream Team? Well, let me tell you… Your Dream Team is a group of people you gather around you to help you fulfill your dream.
Here are a few thoughts regarding your Dream Team:
- Trustworthy: Choose a group of friends who will stick with you through thick and thin. It could be friends in youth group, classmates, co-workers or mentors, but girls who believe in you and cheer you on to fulfill your dreams!
- Positive: Choose people who are positive problem-solvers. You want your team to be filled with “go-getters” who aren’t threatened by problems, but who troubleshoot and come up with solutions.
- Persistent: Choose people who don’t give up. There will be roadblocks to achieving your goals. You want girls who help move those roadblocks out of your way or show you how to get up and over them!
- Networkers: Find people who know people. Not everyone on your team will have exactly what you need, but they may know someone who does. Networkers are able to connect you to others to help fulfill your dreams.
- Accountability: Ask your team to hold you accountable to your goals. You don’t want grace every time you get lazy or fearful, but girls who will push you to get things done. Accountability is key to accomplishing your dreams!
Years ago, I created a Dream Team to help me get Pure Design Ministries and Magazine launched as a non-profit. I had NO idea what I was doing. I had never started a non-profit. I didn’t have a degree in journalism or marketing. I simply had a dream and the passion to do it. I called a few of my close friends – one who had opened her own boutique, another who was a professional counselor and another who created worship music videos and was a worship pastor. All three friends were in entirely different arenas than the non-profit world I wanted to discover. But, they were all successful women who went after things in their heart and made them happen. We met once a month and each time came with updates on what we had accomplished, things we still needed to do, and areas we needed help with. These women became my cheerleaders, my prayer warriors and some of my closest friends!
I encourage you to go for it in 2021! Let this be the year, you finally put pen to paper or begin pursuing the dreams that excite but scare you. Find a Dream Team and invite them into your journey! I promise you, it’ll make it much more fun!!
Pamela Lozano is the Founder & President of Pure Design Ministries & Magazine. She is an inspirational speaker of topics of faith, self-image, self-worth & purity. She loves to lead worship and spend time with her three grown kids and husband, Jake. Pamela has been a Youth Pastor for over twenty years and loves to mentor the next generation to live whole-heartedly for Christ. She also loves to coach young women to identify and pursue their dreams.